What: Spiritual direction is the ancient practice of helping you understand your own story and enter more fully into the story God is telling. While counseling primarily deals with the past and life coaching with the future, spiritual direction centers on the present moment with God. What is He doing right now? What is He up to in your life? Spiritual direction is not discipling, teaching, or mentoring. Instead, it prompts a conversation that will help you become more attuned to the presence of Jesus in and around you. Such awareness is profoundly healing for the masculine soul. Jesus is already seeking to enter our stories. Responding to His initiative helps us find Him as our guide, own our true identity in Him, and discover the quest He has for us.
Why: Men seek out spiritual direction for a variety of reasons. Some are facing a crisis of faith or a period of great difficulty. Others feel stuck or confused in their relationship with God. Still others just want help growing closer to Him.
From men who have experienced spiritual direction:
"Spiritual direction caught me by surprise. It has reshaped the way I connect with my Father with more intimacy and gratitude. I am so much more aware of His love for me throughout my day."
"Spiritual direction has helped me understand God's deep love for me and His desire for me to experience His love. This simple, but also deeply complex, realization has revolutionized how I pray, think about God, and think about myself."
"I have known for some time that God loved the world, but I have had difficulty experiencing intimacy with Him myself. Spiritual direction has opened the door to Jesus' invitation to spend every day with Him. I am no longer working for His attention."
- Who: Bill is a certified spiritual director.
- Where: Because of the COVID crisis and because of a health issue, I am no longer offering spiritual direction at West End Community Church for the foreseeable future. Most sessions are now being done through a Zoom meeting. For those of you who wish a face-to-face meeting, I can also do spiritual direction outside on my back porch.
- When: Sessions are one hour long and can be scheduled on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays. Most happen on a monthly basis. Spiritual direction can be discontinued at any time.
- Cost: $95 per hour session. The initial session is offered free of charge. Fee adjustments are also available if needed. Please don't hesitate to ask.
- Confidentiality: All conversations are strictly confidential.
To sign up or ask questions: Email Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org