What are the Exercises? Perhaps it's best to start with an analogy. If spiritual direction is like a day hike in the park, the Exercises are like thru-hiking the entire Appalachian Trail. Everything in terms of time, length, intensity, and focus are ramped up, but along with that, so are the benefits.
The official name is "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius." They are a 500-year old way of cultivating a deeper friendship with Jesus, so that you come to know His heart and feel your own heart known by Him. My own experience of the Exercises as well as countless others through the centuries show that this to be exactly what happens. Deep shifts in perspective take place. Healing of all kinds happens. New insights are gained, and new dreams are birthed. Ignatius hoped that those who took the Exercises would go and set the world on fire for Jesus and His kingdom. His hope has become the living reality of so many.
Here are some details that will help you understand how the Exercises work:
- The Exercises last for 36 weeks, or approximately 9 months.
- There are 5 big themes presented in this order: God's love, sin and death, Jesus' life and ministry, His death, and His resurrection
- Each day there is Scripture given to pray through as well as other specific meditations.
- You will learn new ways of praying along the way, especially imaginative prayer with the gospel stories.
- Each week you meet with a spiritual director (that would be me!) to process what has been happening to you in the Exercises.
- Applications for the Exercises are made during the late spring and summer so that the Exercises can be given from September to May.
If you are interested in hearing more about the Exercises or how to apply for them, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment for the Exercises can be made by clicking the button below.